What is a “primary source“?
- Data authors generate themselves.
- Ex: The Bible, Declaration of Independence, Autobiographies
What is a “secondary source“?
- Reporting someone’s point of view about data already generated.
- Ex: Newspaper articles, Biographies
Read Clifford Geertz’s “The Interpretation of Cultures”, chapter 1 pages 3-33 https://chairoflogicphiloscult.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/clifford-geertz-the-interpretation-of-cultures.pdf
- Imagined connections
Context: “facts” surrounding the thing
Describe picture above objectively.
- There is a sign with prices on it regarding the price for answers.
- There is a sign behind the woman saying “This is not Burger King” parodying the slogan by saying you do not get it your way.
- There is a sign stating “Good coffee, cheaper than Prozac.”
- This photograph has a gray-scale filter.
- It appears as though the woman has eyebrow makeup and eye makeup on.
- The woman’s ear looks like it is bare.
Thick Description Example: http://postscriptreverie.gsucreate.org/category/source-descriptions/